Title: Interim Full Time Pastor
Description of Church: West Trenton is a small, friendly, faithful, financially solvent congregation looking for a full time Interim Pastor to support us through our time of transition as we search for a permanent minister. We are a traditional and conservative in our approach and appearance. Our congregation meets in a beautiful stone church in the suburbs of West Trenton. We have a wonderful music program including a Praise Band and professional singers in our choir. Our choir is led by an Organist/Choirmaster who has composed many the anthems. We are supportive of our members and the surrounding community with outreach to our local food banks, Meals on Wheels, HomeFront (a local organization) supporting homeless families, and a huge toy drive to help local Children’s Aid Society at Christmas. In addition we support Boy Scout Troop and Pack 33, Trenton Children’s Chorus and Alcoholics Anonymous that call our church their home.
Description of Position: We are looking for a full time Interim Pastor that can lead the congregation in worship, provide members with pastoral care and conduct baptism, wedding and funeral services, provide organizational support for the church and Session and interface with the Presbytery as needed. We have started the process by organizing our Mission Study Team that meets twice a month. The Team is operating smoothly without a contentious meeting or disagreement. We expect the Interim to help guide the Team and the entire church through this time of change in pastoral leadership.
- Preparing and preaching a biblical faith-filled sermon including the order of worship, selection of hymns, and confession of sins and affirmation of faith.
- Providing guidance to the Mission Team as they move through the process of defining our pastoral requirements and outreach.
- Providing emotional, social and spiritual support to members as they transverse life.
- Serving as Moderator of Session and interfacing with the Presbytery, as necessary.
- Training newly elected officers.
- Working with the church secretary in preparing bulletins and other electronic newsletters.
- Coordinating with the Organist/Choirmaster/Composer with the selection of hymns for the service.
- Officiating at weddings, baptisms and funerals, as requested.
- Celebrating the Lord’s Supper the first Sunday of each month.
Goals of the Ministry:
- Providing continuity of leadership as the church transitions to new leadership.
- Preparing the congregation for the arrival of the new pastor.
- Maintaining a healthy congregational life as the church transitions.
- Assisting the Mission Study Team as they define and document their strengths, challenges and vision for the future.
Education: An ordained PCUSA Teaching Elder or equivalent credential. Interim Pastor training is preferred.
Salary: Compensation will be negotiated based on a full time position in accord with the Presbytery Guidelines.
Start Date: Preferred starting date is January 1, 2021.
Contact Information: Gary Young at email@example.com