Director of Youth Music Ministries
Pennington Presbyterian Church is looking for a Director of Youth Music Ministries.
We are a welcoming, vibrant Presbyterian church in the center of Pennington, NJ. Our church traces its roots back to 1709.
Musically, we have an adult choir, three youth choirs (separated by age), a bell choir, an accompanist/organist, a student/intern who leads the youngest of the youth choirs (Cherubs, age 4 – 1st grade), and many talented musicians in our congregation. The Director of Youth Music Ministries would be responsible for leading the Genesis (2nd grade – 5th grade) and Gloria Deo (6th grade – 12th grade) choirs.
We currently have one service every Sunday, but we are evaluating the possibility of a second, contemporary service which the person in this role would help shape.
Administratively, the Director of Youth Music Ministries, the Accompanist/Organist and all other music personnel report directly to the Director of Music Ministries. The Director of Music Ministries would report to the Head Pastor, Nancy Mikoski, as well as the Personnel Committee.
This is a salaried, position that goes from September through June and requires between 7 – 10 hours per week, with most all occurring on evenings, weekends and religious holidays. Our offer will be competitive with market rates currently being paid by local churches for similar roles. This position will be paid twice monthly.
This position comes with two weeks of vacation, to be coordinated with the Head Pastor. The Director of Music Ministries should be notified for all absences so that arrangements can be made to substitute.
In addition to direct compensation, the person in this role may use the church pianos, organ and other instruments for teaching, rehearsal and performance as they are available.
The Presbyterian faith has no limitations on race, gender or sexual orientation. Members, pastors and church leaders alike can identify as any gender, any sexual orientation and be of any race.
The purpose of music in the Pennington Presbyterian Church is to worship God and to provide faith development, for those who participate in music programs and the congregation as well.
For more information regarding the Pennington Presbyterian Church, please either reach out to us directly or review our website at http://pennpres.org/
The Director of Youth Music Ministries must:
- Be a person of Christian faith. The person does not have to be a Presbyterian.
- Be capable of leading a youth choir. This includes attracting and retaining members, holding practices and leading the youth choir during services.
- Have strong emotional intelligence, comfortable with dealing with people on an individual level. In dealing with young people, a healthy mix of patience, inspiration and flexibility is necessary.
- Be a strong musician. Proficiency in playing the piano is required and the ability to play other instruments is desired.
- Have familiarity with, and skill in playing, a fairly broad array of traditional, contemporary and world worship music. We are looking to increase the presence of contemporary music in our services while also providing traditional hymns and anthems to the congregation.
The responsibility of this role is to provide music as a tool for worship and faith development within our congregation and community. There is flexibility to make changes to how this is implemented, but as our processes are currently configured, the responsibilities are:
- Lead the Gloria Deo and Genesis choirs. This includes:
- Running weekly evening rehearsals for the Gloria Deo choir from September through mid-June (currently Thursdays at 6:30 p.m.).
- Running weekly Genesis choir rehearsals at a time to be defined from September through mid-June (currently after the Sunday service).
- Running ad hoc rehearsals for special services or as needed.
- Teaching rudiments of vocal production and musical interpretation.
- Conducting choirs at periodically scheduled worship services generally once a month.
- Maintaining a music storage and indexing/cataloguing system with help from choir librarians.
- Work with accompanist/organist, directors of Bell and Adult Choir, Clergy and Music and Worship committee in planning and scheduling music.
- Encouraging recruitment of new members and retention of existing members
- Communicate with appropriate individuals music practice/performance schedules and other information needed for service bulletins, Focus weekly and monthly newsletters, church schoolteachers, etc.
- Inviting and working with students who play musical instruments to perform during worship services.
- Routinely encouraging feedback from the choir and incorporating that feedback into future decisions.
- Be a part of the worship planning team.
- With the support of the pastors, encourage and promote faith development, within the choir(s) and beyond, by connecting music with scripture and prayer.
- Coordinate publisher purchase, rental, or permission for the use of copyrighted materials.
- Collaborate with Music director to have combined Adult and Youth Choir performances in services 3-4 times per year.
Background checks will be completed on all employees prior to employment and afterwards. The church reserves the right to terminate employees whose background checks are not satisfactory.
To apply for this role, please send your resume, cover letter and at least three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions regarding this role, please send them to email@example.com
Pennington Presbyterian Church, 13 South Main Street, Pennington, NJ