The First Presbyterian Church of Hamilton Square is looking for an Interim Head of Staff to provide pastoral services on a full time basis. This position is critical in providing leadership and stability to our congregation at a time of transition. The church is looking for someone who can perform the following duties:
The Interim Pastor is to be a spiritual director; leading people to a relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, nurturing their attentiveness to God in their lives, and helping them to discover and use their spiritual gifts in service to Christ; to provide pastoral ministry, organizational oversight and administrative leadership to a congregation of approximately 500 members through a broad program of worship, music, preaching, teaching, evangelism, mission and fellowship that will enable the church to grow to its full potential in membership and spiritual vitality.
The Interim Pastor is accountable to the Session through its Personnel Committee; and accountable to the Presbytery of New Brunswick through the Committee on Ministry.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide active leadership to the Session, the congregation and its organizations that will enable the church to move forward in its mission as outlined in the church’s Purpose and Vision statements. In addition, lead the Session in long-term strategies and annual action plans.
2. Provide a biblically based preaching and teaching ministry as the primary preacher and periodic teaching in the adult education program.
3. Plan, design, and lead worship for the majority of services, coordinate the participation of other staff, and with the Worship Committee, train and coordinate lay worship leaders; administer the Sacraments of Baptism and Holy Communion in coordination with the pastoral staff.
4. Serve as the Moderator of Session, providing active leadership for all Session committees and program areas, serving as the primary staff resource person to the following committees, guiding and assisting them in their respective responsibilities: Administration, Memorial and Endowment, Nominating, Outreach, Personnel, Property, Stewardship and Worship.
5. Work with the Nominating Committee, Session, and Church Staff in leadership development through recruitment, motivation, training and mentoring of members.
6. Provide pastoral care ministry with an emphasis on the hospitalized, bereaved, homebound, and emergency calls; providing spiritual direction and short-term counseling as appropriate and conducting weddings and funerals. Distribute Holy Communion to homebound members. The Senior Pastor will coordinate pastoral ministry with the Minister of Pastoral Care and Deacons.
7. Serve as the Head of Staff; leading, directing, supervising, coordinating, reviewing performance and inspiring the church staff.
8. Recruit and supervise seminary interns in coordination with the Minister of Youth and Education.
9. Encourage the congregation in a greater and enthusiastic commitment to stewardship of their time, talents and financial support, in order to foster continued church growth.
10. Develop, maintain and improve congregational communication in all aspects of our church’s mission and ministry.
11. Participate in the Presbytery of New Brunswick as an active member.
12. Participate in the Hamilton Ecumenical Fellowship as time permits.
Relates to the Session as Moderator, to Session Committees as ex-officio member, to the Staff as colleague and head of staff, to the congregation as pastor, and to the Presbytery as a member.
An annual performance review will be conducted by the Session Personnel Committee. In addition, the Session Personnel Committee will annually review compensation.
Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org