12-15 hours per week
Location: 1856 Forest Grove Rd., Furlong, PA 18925 (located 5 miles south of Doylestown)
Send all inquiries to: MusicDirectorSearch@ForestGroveChurch.org
To be successful in this position, the Director of Music should possess the following abilities:
– have proficient keyboard skills on both the piano and organ
– be a team player, working collaboratively by sharing and listening to the ideas of others
– be able to work with and respect all age groups
– think creatively, even “outside the box” with regard to the music program and worship of the church
– make use of a variety of musical styles that will balance both the tastes of the congregation and gently expand music boundaries
– support the pastor, recognizing that the pastor has primary responsibility for the worship service
– be flexible including patience and tolerance with late-date changes
– be self-sufficient
– take advantage of continuing education opportunities that will benefit the music program of the church
– create professional goals with the help of the personnel committee
The Director of Music responsibilities will include the following: Administration, Organist, Choir Director (vocal and hand bell) and Accompanist.
-Select appropriate music from a variety of musical styles for anthems and other offerings for all choirs to coordinate with the Pastor’s sermons, lectionary or church season/special event.
-Coordinate the participation of all choirs in regularly scheduled worship services and special services including the development of music schedules and communicating the schedules with the Pastor and choir members.
-prepare recommendations for the annual budget for all music-related areas and to operate within that budget.
-Oversee the purchase of new music within the approved budget limits.
-Maintain regular and open communication with the Pastor, Chair of Worship and Music, Personnel Committees and other church staff.
-Participate in Worship and Music committee meetings (usually monthly).
-Attend weekly staff meetings.
-Maintain all church instruments by arranging for tuning and repair as needed.
-Recruit, train and direct members of the vocal and hand bell choirs.
-Conduct rehearsals on a regular basis to prepare the choir for their musical offerings during the worship service.
-Lead choirs during special worship services such as Thanksgiving Eve, Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Choir Sunday and others as scheduled by the Worship and Music Committee.
-Develop a special music schedule for summer worship services and obtain the music participants
-Provide accompaniment with organ and/or piano or other appropriate musical instrument for hymns and other musical selections for all regularly scheduled and special worship services and church programs.
-Play for funerals and weddings.
-Provide for substitutes when unavailable for services.
-Any other related responsibilities are determined by the Worship and Music Committee, Session, Personnel Committee, and the Pastor.
-Participate in continuing education appropriate to this position with approval of the Worship & Music Committee.
$15,000 for approximately 12-15 hours per week.
4 weeks not to exceed 4 Sundays